Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Soweto

Good morning from Johannesburg!

Lori here again. Today we are on our way to the Apartheid museum then perhaps a gold mining tour, potentially a quick trip to Pretoria and then off to the airport.

I have to say I have very mixed feelings about going home! I have fallen in love with this country and the people here and know for certainty that I need to return!

Yesterday we had the opportunity to take a tour of Soweto including a walking trip through a portion of Kliptown where the poverty level is staggering. The person giving us a tour of the area is from a program that comes in with after school programs for the area youth. The gave us a dance performance right before we left that was really impressive! He explained to us that even though they have incredibly little in the way of monetary or physical posessions they are rich in other ways. The people welcomed us into their homes -- the children curious. It makes you think.

Anyway, my group is about to leave for a busy day so I need to sign off.

This has been an incredible adventure and I hate for it to end but know I will be glad to be home as well. Have to say a heartfelt thanks to all that had a part in planning this trip -- every last detail taken care of. It has been wonderful.

Friends and family -- I will see you soon. Love you all! Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment